I work with nonprofits and businesses to tell documentary photography and video stories that inspire hope, educate and connect with supporters.
A quarter-life crisis led me to pursue a master’s degree in photojournalism at the University of Missouri, where I learned to tell a story with photographs. I got to spend my days learning about the power of photography and trying to harness it. Inspired by the social documentary work of the “concerned photographers,” I wanted to make pictures that made a difference, even on a small scale.
Before my first internship was over I was fortunate to be hired by a great editor at the Springfield News-Leader who made it easy for me to do work that felt important. I was part of a team that illuminated the widespread issue of child poverty in the Ozarks. This work inspired the creation of a new organization committed to early childhood education.
I kept working on issue-driven photo stories at the News-Leader and the Fort Collins Coloradoan while honing my video skills. I learned that I’m good at being with people during intense times in their lives. A breastfeeding new mother one day and the next, a mother’s shock and grief in the aftermath of an EF5 tornado. One of my strengths is connecting with people quickly so they are comfortable allowing me to share their stories. With seven years at newspapers, I have worked respectfully with people from all walks of life.
Visual storytelling is one of the most powerful tools organizations can use to increase social media reach and fundraising results. I’d love to help tell your story.
- Second place in Portfolio, Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters, 2016
- First place in Photography, Gannett Awards of Excellence, 1st Quarter 2015
- First place in Spot News, Missouri APME awards, 2014
- Award of Excellence in General News, NPPA Best of Photojournalism 2013
- First place in Photo Story category, Missouri APME awards, 2013
- Photojournalist of the Year, Best of Gannett 2012
- Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi Award for Public Service 2012
- Best in Show, Gannett Awards of Excellence, 3rd Quarter 2012
- First and second place in Photo Story category, Missouri APME awards, 2012
- First in Feature Photos, Second in Breaking News, Missouri Press Association 2011
- First Place in Visual Journalism, Best of Gannett 2011